Tuesday, August 16, 2011

BLOOM

This is a piece i finished last weekend & mailed in for the GREAT BIG STITCHED POSTCARD SWAP (courtesy of Beth Nichols, DWYL). Basically, there are something like 180 people from 20 different countries around the world, participating in the swap. We each get to create our own little postcard & mail it to someone anonymously. In return, we receive a postcard from someone.  Kind of like a pen pal, except with art. No restrictions (obviously, it doesn't need to be totally stitched, or i never would have participated!), a simple 6" x 4" postcard with the theme: BLOOM. Those who want can share a pic of their postcard on Flicker. There's some amazing artwork there...

During the past few months, I've discovered the importance of community. We all know how important it is to be supported, but i really think many of us are unclear about what that actually means for us. The people who are closest to us aren't necessarily the strongest supporters. I have a few good friends who I know I can always count on, but it was such a joy to find other like minded people out there who were immediately cheering me on as well, as though we were kindred spirits. Maybe I am just more ready now than I was. Maybe I'm more open to new ideas, new ways of looking at the world. Or maybe - just maybe - I've finally learned to live the questions instead of search for answers.

xox

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!!!!! Beeeeaaaaaauuuuuuutiful postcard, Pauline!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete