Saturday, April 30, 2011

matt mays

Just finished the first 2 hours of painting this one. (yes... for all you Matt Mays fans out there) 
A nearly perfect evening for me - the paints, a good size canvas (18" x 36"), a glass of wine, and good music. Doesn't get much better than this for me. I look at basic shapes & values when i first start a painting. Where's the light coming from, where are the brightest whites, the deepest shadows, etc. The first sitting is always fun for me, but like many artists, the mistake i often make is not knowing when to stop painting. I love this raw look but I often end up over working it. I'll try really hard not to do that this time. It feels nearly done now - but not quite. I'll post the finished painting soon - if it's not overdone. :o)

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh Girlfriend!!! What a surprise to find Matty here among your wonderful, eclectic art postings. FANTASTIC work. Saw him a couple weekends ago downtown. He's very furry. LET'S DO LUNCH SOON!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete