Saturday, February 4, 2017

is it dark in here or is it just me?

Hello loves.
It's been a rough few weeks, hasn't it?
It's been almost a month 
since I last posted something here.

I was at a loss for words (still am).

But I'll share something I wrote
a few days ago,
along with some of the art
I've managed to make
over the past few weeks -
despite the craziness happening
all over the world.
(Much of it BECAUSE of the craziness)

I hope you've all been well
and getting the hugs you need these days.
My heart is sick
and has been for weeks now.
They say:
“don’t let yourself
get carried away
with all the hatred”
and so I try
to surround myself
with joy and peace
and do the things
that make my heart sing,
but then the wave comes
and carries me away again,
when i hear about another
ridiculous executive order
and the muslim ban
and Cheeto demanding
that women should dress like women
and the burning mosques
and the murder of 6 muslims in Canada
or the new laws taking place
in some US States
where a rapist now has the right
to sue his victim 
if she chooses to abort the foetus.

The one that was created in violence.
It is very difficult these days
NOT to care.
(and we should never not care.)

And with social media and TV
and radio and conversations
at the local coffee shop -
it is also very difficult to "tune out".

Oh, but it is SO important that we do so
now and then. For the sake of sanity.

They say:
“but it’s politics!
And it’s happening in the US,
not here in Canada!”
and I want to scream,
INJUSTICE ANYWHERE
IS A THREAT
TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE.

The rants and the tweets and the protests
and the families being divided
by a ban that fell on US citizens
like a bomb.

And now, on the rest of the world.
There are those on social media who say:
“I want Facebook to be fun again
with pictures of dancing cats
and funny memes that have
nothing to do with politics”
and I shake my head
at the idea that so many
still choose ignorance.

As if the craziness won't happen
if you don’t know about it.



And yet - I understand the need
to detach.
I understand the need
to run away and hide.
But hiding is not the answer.
It never was.
I am doing what I can
to care for myself 
more than usual these days,
to save myself from living
with an angry heart
the way Donald does.
Hatred breeds hatred,
and if I can keep just a tiny spark
of love alive
during this fucked up chaotic time,
i’ve done well.
I’ve been wanting to hug trees
and take long walks on the beach
and hot baths
and read good books
and make art.

But even these things have been unusually difficult...
My mind goes back to the Holocaust
and Nazi Germany
and how quickly an educated, intelligent nation
crumbled to the ground
when they were taught to hate.

When they were taught to live in fear.

When they were taught to become indifferent
to another persons’ pain.

It is the beginning of the end
when one becomes indifferent.

And yet - there is hope.
There is hope in the protests
and the coming together
of so many people 
who are willing to see their similarities
instead of their differences.
There is hope in people
who have found their voices
during the most tumultuous times
and who are using those voices
to make the world a place of peace
rather than a world of hatred and war.

There is hope in those
who stand with others
who have had their voices
silenced
along the way.

There is hope in children.

There is hope in the blade of grass.

There is hope in poetry and in music.

There is hope in words.

There is hope in the stars
and the moon
and the grand possibilities that are
within reach
for those of us who dare
to touch the sky.











10 comments:

  1. The light at the end of this long, dark tunnel better be the brightest, most beautiful, most inclusive and compassionate -and HUMANE- light that this world has ever seen.

    One of my dharma teachers said that it's now our role as compassionate people to create the refuge that has been stolen from others by transforming ourselves and providing the love and security that is so desperately needed. I hope we can do that, at least until the world returns to its senses. I'm determined not to let these four years become all about the darkness.

    Thank you, as always, for being honest and writing what you feel. It resonates so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On some days, it's hard not to hate, isn't it. I'm with you. It can never become all about the darkness. 💜

      Delete
  2. I haven't journal education or created art of any kind in almost 2 years. All of this negative energy, hatred, chaos......."fucked up" merely skims the surface...

    But, like a burst of sunlight in a stormy sky, I see your post in my otherwise unremarkable emails and my heart smiles to know you're still out there...

    Sending you much love from across the border...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I should have previewed, damn auto-correct! Previous post should read "journaled or" Grrrrrr...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your journal should be published! It reflects "the silent majority" beautifully. You can go away for a while but don't forget to come back...we need your inspiration. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you have posted here today. It reveals what people are feeling. There is a crazy man in the white house who strives on chaos, disruption, hate, bigotry, and misogyny. If you don't do what he wants he gets rid of you and hires in someone who will bow down and do his bidding. He is alienating the US from the rest of the world and as he said in his campaign, "he likes war" He is a liar, a cheat, and doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself. I do believe he is mentally ill and if anyone thinks we are not already in a dictatorship, you are not looking closely enough. What he is doing does effect Canada and the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are women, we are intuitive and we are sage...so we see the potential for danger! It's all so disheartening! Your passion is always so wonderfully on the page! I hope you can find a few nodules of peace in the cancer of the day. I know my heart feels the unrest! Sometimes the awareness can be daunting! Sleep leaves me...as angst is stirred! Powerful art and words my dear. Take care of yourself, hang onto the love! Have you watched Warren Buffet doc yet... it's a must see I think you will be very very surprised. Your son might like it too!! Let me know if you watch it!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've managed to say all those things that many of us are feeling, even on the other side of the world. But there is always hope, and we have to look for the light leaking in at the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pauline. Your words read like the feelings I feel.
    Yes, ignoring injustice is not an option and yes, keeping one's sanity intact is crucial and yes, hope is our eternal guide.
    Isn't it at times like these that we need to do more? More writing and painting and creating an antidote to this craziness?
    Love your posts...please keep them coming. hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feeling everything you're writing about ....

    ReplyDelete