Tuesday, April 17, 2012

oncology center...

I can be changed by what happens to me
but I refuse to be reduced by it.
Maya Angelou


I went to the Oncology center again today.

Mom begins chemotherapy again...
after a break that was much too brief.

Every time I go there,
I'm reminded of what I have,
what others have lost,
and how fragile life is.

True wealth has nothing to do with money.

The only true wealth is health.

We all walk around like we have
all the time in the world
to do what we want,
to go where we want,
to be who we want.

We neglect,
we procrastinate,
we find every excuse in the book
to do it later.

Tomorrow.

Next year.

When the mortgage is paid off.

When the kids are gone.

When i have more money.


But when i see the faces
in that sitting room at the Oncology Center,
i know that many no longer have the energy

nor the will

to follow their hearts. 

They have become too busy with survival
to be concerned with dreams
and passions.

All they want is to feel good again.

That has become their dream.

What
are
we
waiting
for
?

Do one small thing today
that makes you feel one step closer
to your dream.

Even if it's just
writing it on paper,
and claiming it as yours. 
xoxo

13 comments:

  1. We do take so much for granted. Thought provoking post.
    I wish your mom well. Peace be with you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers are with your mother and all those people. What you say is so true. I took so much for granted until my body took over my life and altered my path completely. Appreciate everything you have and can do and enjoy!! Life is shorter than we think. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. now words to share - just ((((hugs))))
    Stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! very inspiring words - thank you Pauline :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right- every day is precious no matter where you are! Sorry you are having to battle this in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pauline, this ia such a beautifully written post, so touching, so honest and inspiring. Love and hugs to you and your family! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving hugs to your and your Mommy, Pauline. Thank you for the beautiful reminder. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a "heartfelt" post here today!
    My prayers and love to your mother... and you as well. ((hugs))
    It is the "little' things in life that are important. Sometimes we forget...
    oxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pauline, love, hugs and strength to your Mom and yourself. I believe in some force of strength helping us at every stage in life. Stay strong.
    When I was with my Mom during her last days at onco ward, I used to see lil ones undergoing chemo. Heart rending experience. Yet they were full of laughter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's hard to witness suffering, especially in our loved ones. It's good to that you are there to accompany your mother in this very difficult time. Often people's eyes and hearts are open to the delicate and fragil side of life in such situations. Thank you for sharing your experiences and your responses to them. It's both encouraging and thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's harder to watch it happen to somebody else than yourself, and to feel so powerless.
    Strength and healing to you and your mum.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you all for the lovely thoughts.
    My heart feels warm & fuzzy now. :-)

    ReplyDelete